Baked Sausage and Mushroom Saucers
This dish can be prepared the night before, to get you ahead for the morning rush. Try varying the sausage flavors from time to time, it does make a difference!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 4 very large field mushrooms
- 2½oz/75g butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 1 heaped tbsp chopped fresh
- Thyme leaves
- 4 pork and herb sausages, skinned
- 3½oz/100g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 beef tomato, cut into small dice
- 6tbsp coarsely grated Cheddar
You can make this the night before, just remove the mushroom stalks and chop finely. Clean the caps and place gill-side up in a lightly greased roasting tin. Mix the butter, thyme and some seasoning and spread over each one. Scatter with the stalks.
Pull the sausage meat into small pieces and pile onto the mushrooms with the lardons and tomato. Season lightly, cover and chill overnight.
The next morning, preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas mark 4. Bake for 15 minutes or until the bacon and sausage are lightly golden and the mushrooms have softened. Remove, sprinkle each mushroom with cheese and bake for a further 5 minutes.