Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork Balls
This is a very filling and extremely yummy dish which everyone will love, particularly the children.
Serves: 4 (20 balls)
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
For the pork balls
- 4oz/115g white onion, minced
- 1lb/450g ground or minced pork
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp star anise powder
- 4oz/115g coconut flour
- 1 egg, beaten to bind
- 4oz/115g hard but mild cheese, grated
For the sweet and sour sauce
- 2 tsp liquid stevia
- 8 tbsp reduced sugar ketchup
- oz/180ml distilled white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Heat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas mark 4
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients together in a pan and heat gently. When just coming up to the bowl, turn off the heat.
- In a large bowl mix together the pork, onions, cheese, star anise, salt and half the flour. Add the beaten egg and combine thoroughly.
- Mould into balls and roll in the remaining flour.
- Place on a baking sheet, and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, turn and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- When cooked, turn off the oven and leave the pork balls in there. Reheat the sauce. When sauce is warmed through, remove pork balls from the oven.
- Serve on plates with steamed broccoli and some sauce poured over the top.