Feel like you are eating authentic Italian cuisine with this ratatouille recipe. Many Italian dishes contain meat, cheese, or both—but this recipe has neither.
Use a 4 quart (4 L) slow cooker or bigger.
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Italian seasoning or allspice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- 1 can (14 oz or 392 g) peeled whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (14 oz or 392 g) diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 butternut squash
Cut all vegetables and spread onto the bottom of the slow cooker in a neat arrangement (not necessary, but enjoyable). Sprinkle spices overtop and pour on oil, water, and canned tomatoes. Allow to cook for 5 to 6 hours on low, or 3 to 4 hours on high. When finished, stir and serve.